Skip to main content

Marshmallow

Let your guard down. You're allowed to show signs of strain. It's okay not to be okay. 

All words that I held in contempt for some time in my elderly youth (30s).
Then I experienced a shift and I love it. 

I now pride myself in being a soft, chewy-centered person who openly cries with and for others. 
I pride myself in allowing the rain in and letting my feet stand in stagnant water while I becry my minor inconveniences.
I refuse to be a ‘mbokodo.’
I am not a strong black woman, I'm a soft marshmallow baby. 

With frequent hospital visits, due to a dramatic heart, I have had many opportunities to lay my spirit at the feet of friends and loved ones who just want to make me smile. I have gone through my own walls to allow myself to be shown love. Still believing that I don't deserve that much affection, I downplay my pains. Something that even my doctor commented on.

It's been two months since I was in hospital, and now I'm here again. It is taxing.
I've found that the best way for me to keep the sunshine is by spreading some of my own to others. It comes back multiplied. So I do that. 

When I ended up at the back of an ambulance at my place of employment, I made a little vow inside of me. I promised myself not to act strong, but to let my tears flow freely. This was a sad situation, afterall, for lack of fancier words. It was just after 17:00 and there I was, on a stretcher, leaving the building. 
We were all baffled because a few minutes prior I had been monkeying around at the office, clearly over the day's work. 

I just wanted to cry. Bawl my eyes out!
But you know what? My mind wouldn't even give me the option. I immediately started making jokes with the paramedics, who were already in stitches because of something silly that I had said.
The way to the hospital was not short of comedy as the driver got lost. LOST TO THE HOSPITAL! In his defense, they responded to a call outside of their usual area.

When I got to the hospital it was a game of hurry-up-and-wait.
Finally, after multiple pricks and shy moments, I had an initial diagnosis. The ER doctor was so sure that I'd be going home that evening because I “looked good enough.” 
I wasn't “good enough.”
Rewind to those moments while waiting. In had time to myself. I forced myself to process what was happening. I said to myself, “got m you have to cry this out and leave the grief right here.” 
I managed 2ml of tears, until a funny thought distracted me.

Around 21:00 that night, I was in a high-care chamber.
Both my doctor and I couldn't believe it. 

Surely I need to be sad about this. 
Surely. 

I was sad, but it wasn't showing. 
As usual, my doctor was optimistic that I'd be out in two days. Today marks day seven and he's fighting to get me out.

Day 4 was lousy, mentally. I welcomed that, because I got to feel and reflect. 

But now, I feel fine again. I'm sitting here hearing about my strength from friends.
And I want to scream and argue that point with them. I'm not strong. Please. Coddle me. I'm a baby. 
When attempts are made to coddle me, I run away because I don't want to be a burden and I can accept so much love. 

I'm self-centered, clearly. I've made the whole experience about myself.
What about my mom who doesn't want to lose her first born child? My son who just wants a mom? My friends who no longer know how to comfort me? My doctor who wants success stories from patients? 

I will go home today. I will rest. Tomorrow, I will cry.
Still, I insist: I am a marshmallow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Same Person

I am not the same person you remember.  I laugh the same way, I'm still afraid of sneezes, I still giggle unnecessarily.  But my light has been dimmed. I am not the same person you remember.  I have not spoken to you in a while.  You probably have not seen me in a while.  Maybe I have said "no" to one too many of your invitations. Forgive me. I have since lost a large piece of my hope pie.  I have since broken my literal heart. I have since lost a piece of my confidence. I am not the same person you remember.  "Get well" and "We love you" messages have become my staple.  As life goes on and I decelerate, I find less joy in waking up.  As people display their affection with human touch, I find that my reciprocal affection has been replaced by fear of contamination.  So strong is the fear, that even on my brightest day, I often prefer the company of my furry friend to loved ones.  Yes, I still love you, but... I am not the same person you rem

Race Rage Gape

1. "I love having her around, but seeing bits of her hair in the shower is unbearable! I want her to stay, but I just can't stand it. It's... gross." Faced with a dilemma seemingly so minor, Viera didn't have time to mull over her decision because her black tenant overheard the conversation and immediately felt unwanted. She eventually left. No amount of apologising and pseudo acceptance could glue that relationship back together. It was Humpty-Dumpty. Gone. I was disgusted with Viera and I let it be known, with the kindest words possible, of course. No use fueling an awkward storm, but we had to talk about it.  She doesn't hate black people, nor did she expect her own visceral reaction to seeing all the little coily black strands of hair in the shower she shared with her black acquaintance.  In her words, it wasn't that the hair was from a black person as much as it was a foreign sight. One that she could not stomach. She felt like her senses were invaded

Needles & Olives - Prequel to Now

Okay. This is where I unpeel. I've dragged you into my journey with health. You cheer me on, but you're not 100% sure what's going on. So here's a laundry list with a timeliness. Hopefully it will make certain sense.    1. Buckle up.   2006 - Pregnancy. Hypertension. Snoring. Acid reflux. 2007 onwards - Getting higher doses of hypertension medications and being told to lose weight. Medical apathy. 2018 - Iron deficiency started showing up. I was not aware, until later.  mid-2019 - Breathing difficulties manifest at odd times. Started on steroids. Important to remember.  2019 - Enlarged heart detected. 2029 (Dec) - Personal paranoia about SARSCOV2 hits high inside me. Causing me to be a hermit ahead of the lockdown. Feb 2020 - Asthma diagnosis. Fear of COVID19 contraction escalates. March 2020 - The cardiomegaly continues (fancy way of saying, “Your heart's too big and not in a good way.) 2020 - Partaking in the collective insanity. 2021 August - Vaccinated against C