Skip to main content

Hug Thief


I suspected that this would be my last opportunity to hold her close to me. The scene was less than ideal. She needed to relieve herself. Robbed of her youthful agility by a stroke ten years prior, and further incapacitated by deep grief from losing all her younger siblings, she was unable to help herself up, let alone walk to a latrine. I had learnt to lift her to her feet in a way that does not hurt her tender areas. I always dreaded the idea of other people performing this task on her. I always felt that others lacked the deep empathy I felt for her. She was my mother after all. She gave birth to my mother but was my mother herself. She was always "ma" and never "gogo."


On this day, she seemed helpless. Succumbing to death's inescapable call was almost certain. A grey pall had fallen over her usually butter-yellow skin, reflecting the curtains of the deep hollows she would soon descend to, on the back of that age-old enemy, death. 







As I lifted her, my mind escaped to a long-forgotten past. I was a child, perhaps four years old. I was a ton of bricks. You see, I have always been plump and heavy. Yet, I would insist on being carried everywhere we went. If she did not carry me, I would plant my heavy frame onto the ground and refuse to move. As I thought of this, I imagined how frustrated she would get. I don't think I have the patience to deal with a younger me. She would always try to tenderly reason with me. At times, she would just carry me on her back. A domestic servant, no doubt she would have been exhausted from picking up after her master's children, as it was. Selfish little me wanted to be on her body. Once on her back, I would feel the security that could only have come from her heartbeat.






As I placed her down, she failed to hold herself up, as she had learned to over the past 10 years of living with stroke. It gave me further opportunity to hold her to my bosom. I did not mind that she was doing private business. We had been through much, together. She had washed me as a child. I washed her as a grown-up. There were no secrets between us, no formalities, and few boundaries. 

At last, she was done. 


I remember thinking, “Why don't you just take a normal hug, like a normal person?” 

I was quickly reminded that we are not normal people, by standard definition.

I learned to use hugs as a sign of affection long past the age of ten. Even then, I didn't understand the meaning of a hug until I was well into my teens.

I did not know how to ask her for a hug, even as I was desperate to hold on to her, in anticipation of the approaching end of her life. 

Of course, in hindsight, I wish I had asked for that hug. Still, I am glad that I stole it at that very moment.


The next time I saw her, she was lifeless.



This was penned in 2016 after my grandmother, Martha Francina died. I never imagined a world without her. 
Gugu Statu

Comments

  1. Oh wow, what to say, this is such an incredible piece. And again, so heart-breaking but you really capture all the emotion and the empathy and absolute compassion, the width and depth and breadth of relationship and intimacy and the pain of loss. So, so, good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Same Person

I am not the same person you remember.  I laugh the same way, I'm still afraid of sneezes, I still giggle unnecessarily.  But my light has been dimmed. I am not the same person you remember.  I have not spoken to you in a while.  You probably have not seen me in a while.  Maybe I have said "no" to one too many of your invitations. Forgive me. I have since lost a large piece of my hope pie.  I have since broken my literal heart. I have since lost a piece of my confidence. I am not the same person you remember.  "Get well" and "We love you" messages have become my staple.  As life goes on and I decelerate, I find less joy in waking up.  As people display their affection with human touch, I find that my reciprocal affection has been replaced by fear of contamination.  So strong is the fear, that even on my brightest day, I often prefer the company of my furry friend to loved ones.  Yes, I still love you, but... I am not the same person you rem

Race Rage Gape

1. "I love having her around, but seeing bits of her hair in the shower is unbearable! I want her to stay, but I just can't stand it. It's... gross." Faced with a dilemma seemingly so minor, Viera didn't have time to mull over her decision because her black tenant overheard the conversation and immediately felt unwanted. She eventually left. No amount of apologising and pseudo acceptance could glue that relationship back together. It was Humpty-Dumpty. Gone. I was disgusted with Viera and I let it be known, with the kindest words possible, of course. No use fueling an awkward storm, but we had to talk about it.  She doesn't hate black people, nor did she expect her own visceral reaction to seeing all the little coily black strands of hair in the shower she shared with her black acquaintance.  In her words, it wasn't that the hair was from a black person as much as it was a foreign sight. One that she could not stomach. She felt like her senses were invaded

Needles & Olives - Prequel to Now

Okay. This is where I unpeel. I've dragged you into my journey with health. You cheer me on, but you're not 100% sure what's going on. So here's a laundry list with a timeliness. Hopefully it will make certain sense.    1. Buckle up.   2006 - Pregnancy. Hypertension. Snoring. Acid reflux. 2007 onwards - Getting higher doses of hypertension medications and being told to lose weight. Medical apathy. 2018 - Iron deficiency started showing up. I was not aware, until later.  mid-2019 - Breathing difficulties manifest at odd times. Started on steroids. Important to remember.  2019 - Enlarged heart detected. 2029 (Dec) - Personal paranoia about SARSCOV2 hits high inside me. Causing me to be a hermit ahead of the lockdown. Feb 2020 - Asthma diagnosis. Fear of COVID19 contraction escalates. March 2020 - The cardiomegaly continues (fancy way of saying, “Your heart's too big and not in a good way.) 2020 - Partaking in the collective insanity. 2021 August - Vaccinated against C