Skip to main content

NEEDLES & OLIVES - List of 10

The 10 Things I Hated About Being At Netcare Olivedale



1. Loss of control of my schedule. I'm not a planner, but I'm a controller and not being in charge of exactly what time I'm seeing a person sends me into a spiral. Doctors don't make appointments at the hospital. They come as they come.

2. Multiple people having access to my body, all at once. I have lived with just my son for 12 years. We don't touch people. We just exist. Being pricked, probed, pushed, turned, stretched... touched, was unnerving and invasive.

3. Having to be a brat about getting a window-side bed, because my anxiety and claustrophobia are a reality. Plus, I can't sleep with closed windows.

4. The lower standard of custard from 2021/21. This was a travesty. That is the last thing you eat every night. It tasted like heartbreak and looked motherless. Depressing. Netcare needs to hold EMPACT to a higher standard. There's a lot of wastage with inedible vegetables. In a country like ours, this should be a crime.

5. Re-explaining my symptoms more than thrice on the day of admission. Why does that info not travel to every department that touches a patient?

6. Paranoia around getting the correct chronic meds (I already take 9 pills to keep my heart and lungs functional, daily) every morning, in addition to whatever treatment I'm getting from being in hospital. Nurses got this wrong twice. The fear is real. My blood pressure can shoot up to 180/120 faster than loadshedding schedule changes. This triggers a chain reaction that can delete me from the population. 

7. Sharing a (very clean) bathroom with complete strangers for days on end. Until I was in isolation, where my bratty self was delighted with the bathroom setup. I blame my gran who treated me like an egg in my formative years. 

8. Being the welcoming and farewell committee. Seeing people come in. Making friends with them. Seeing them leave as their doctor promised because their organs are cooperating with treatment. 

9. The "you're still here" comments from innocent souls (nurses, porters, refreshment officers) who know me as a clown, and do not realise how brutal those words are at the time. Bless them. They mean no harm. 

10. The custard!


Things I Loved About Being At Netcare Olivedale 



1. Bra-less every day. In public. No one judging me because human nature is already causing them to worry more about me being a patient.

2. Loadshedding for who? 

3. Not having to make the bed, but sleeping in crisp sheets every night. 

4. Free, unintentional oxygen facial therapy. 

5. The meals were horrible, but not having to decide on dinner was great, Plus water supply on my bedside at all times. 

6. Getting help when I have felt too sick to continue walking. 

7. Smiling nurses who feel free to joke about my situation. Absolute gems. It made for a lighter stay.

8. Learning that it's fine to not know the day's agenda. It's fine to not have an agenda at all. It's okay to shower at 13:00. 

9. The antiseptic skin cleanser. I haven't used my beauty products for 2 weeks and my skin is on a different plane of existence. I didn't think anything was better for my skin than the Sunlight green bar I use at home. 

10. Dr F. Skosana! Pulmonologist extraordinaire. Lung wizard. Perfectionist. Physician. Saved my life twice before, and brought me back from the brink again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Same Person

I am not the same person you remember.  I laugh the same way, I'm still afraid of sneezes, I still giggle unnecessarily.  But my light has been dimmed. I am not the same person you remember.  I have not spoken to you in a while.  You probably have not seen me in a while.  Maybe I have said "no" to one too many of your invitations. Forgive me. I have since lost a large piece of my hope pie.  I have since broken my literal heart. I have since lost a piece of my confidence. I am not the same person you remember.  "Get well" and "We love you" messages have become my staple.  As life goes on and I decelerate, I find less joy in waking up.  As people display their affection with human touch, I find that my reciprocal affection has been replaced by fear of contamination.  So strong is the fear, that even on my brightest day, I often prefer the company of my furry friend to loved ones.  Yes, I still love you, but... I am not the same person you rem

Race Rage Gape

1. "I love having her around, but seeing bits of her hair in the shower is unbearable! I want her to stay, but I just can't stand it. It's... gross." Faced with a dilemma seemingly so minor, Viera didn't have time to mull over her decision because her black tenant overheard the conversation and immediately felt unwanted. She eventually left. No amount of apologising and pseudo acceptance could glue that relationship back together. It was Humpty-Dumpty. Gone. I was disgusted with Viera and I let it be known, with the kindest words possible, of course. No use fueling an awkward storm, but we had to talk about it.  She doesn't hate black people, nor did she expect her own visceral reaction to seeing all the little coily black strands of hair in the shower she shared with her black acquaintance.  In her words, it wasn't that the hair was from a black person as much as it was a foreign sight. One that she could not stomach. She felt like her senses were invaded

Needles & Olives - Prequel to Now

Okay. This is where I unpeel. I've dragged you into my journey with health. You cheer me on, but you're not 100% sure what's going on. So here's a laundry list with a timeliness. Hopefully it will make certain sense.    1. Buckle up.   2006 - Pregnancy. Hypertension. Snoring. Acid reflux. 2007 onwards - Getting higher doses of hypertension medications and being told to lose weight. Medical apathy. 2018 - Iron deficiency started showing up. I was not aware, until later.  mid-2019 - Breathing difficulties manifest at odd times. Started on steroids. Important to remember.  2019 - Enlarged heart detected. 2029 (Dec) - Personal paranoia about SARSCOV2 hits high inside me. Causing me to be a hermit ahead of the lockdown. Feb 2020 - Asthma diagnosis. Fear of COVID19 contraction escalates. March 2020 - The cardiomegaly continues (fancy way of saying, “Your heart's too big and not in a good way.) 2020 - Partaking in the collective insanity. 2021 August - Vaccinated against C