Skip to main content

CAPES & SPANDEX

 CAPES & SPANDEX 

🦸

1.

"Ma'am, what would you like me to do?" 

"Uhm... let me go home. Why do you ask as if there's a different option, doc?" 

That was the slippery start of the conversation for my discharge from my two-week holiday in hospital. Of course, taking the holiday was not me, but my lungs. Having a fancy time being dysfunctional, while the rest of my body sort of had to sit around and beg for oxygen. The doctor, a substitute for my primary pulmonologist, seemed uneasy about letting me go home. Sounds like a 'him' problem. I went home. 



With the removal of the J-loop from my hand, I was bumped off the infinite hospital loop. Joy!

A J-loop is an intravenous adapter that allows pretty much anyone to inject chemicals

directly into your bloodstream, thereby bypassing the mouth, throat, and stomach. Pesky organs that delay the dispensation of vital medication! 

A J-loop is also a stray dog, umgodoyi, that reminds you that you're not in control. It mocks you while you take a shower by bringing out a tiny smidgen of blood, to remind you that you're in fact sick. The dressing around it gets wet and needs to be changed. More mockery. 




2.

I delayed telling anyone that I am free, lest they stop me at the door and tell me that they just received the last blood results and I'm patient zero for COVID23. No ma'am! I was going to get into my mother's car and be out the hospital gate before I informed concerned loved ones. 

Far too many times I have told them that I'm "basically discharged," only to cause them discomfort when they, the following morning, check how I enjoyed my own bed, and... yeah.

Such is the chokehold that the illusion of control has on us humans. At the slightest loss of it, we react with theatrics. 

I was out of there. I was back "in control." I was free. I was happy!


3.

Happy. I am happy. Right? I needed my freedom to achieve a level of joy. So, why am I crying? These are not tears of joy. I'm crying funeral tears. Okay, not 'funeral', but like "the next-door neighbour's 3-legged dog died" tears. 

The sense of relief I was expecting, was replaced by defeat, fear, helplessness, and loneliness. 

My mother, fully expecting the doctor to keep me for another night, had not prepared to stay over at my place to look after me. As her eldest, I did not want my retired mother to be inconvenienced in any manner. I reassured her that I needed time alone with my son. That is true. However, time alone with my son need not be without my mom. I know. I'm not making sense. But I'm making sense to myself. 

Sad. I was sad. Hurting, really. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Same Person

I am not the same person you remember.  I laugh the same way, I'm still afraid of sneezes, I still giggle unnecessarily.  But my light has been dimmed. I am not the same person you remember.  I have not spoken to you in a while.  You probably have not seen me in a while.  Maybe I have said "no" to one too many of your invitations. Forgive me. I have since lost a large piece of my hope pie.  I have since broken my literal heart. I have since lost a piece of my confidence. I am not the same person you remember.  "Get well" and "We love you" messages have become my staple.  As life goes on and I decelerate, I find less joy in waking up.  As people display their affection with human touch, I find that my reciprocal affection has been replaced by fear of contamination.  So strong is the fear, that even on my brightest day, I often prefer the company of my furry friend to loved ones.  Yes, I still love you, but... I am not the same person you rem

Race Rage Gape

1. "I love having her around, but seeing bits of her hair in the shower is unbearable! I want her to stay, but I just can't stand it. It's... gross." Faced with a dilemma seemingly so minor, Viera didn't have time to mull over her decision because her black tenant overheard the conversation and immediately felt unwanted. She eventually left. No amount of apologising and pseudo acceptance could glue that relationship back together. It was Humpty-Dumpty. Gone. I was disgusted with Viera and I let it be known, with the kindest words possible, of course. No use fueling an awkward storm, but we had to talk about it.  She doesn't hate black people, nor did she expect her own visceral reaction to seeing all the little coily black strands of hair in the shower she shared with her black acquaintance.  In her words, it wasn't that the hair was from a black person as much as it was a foreign sight. One that she could not stomach. She felt like her senses were invaded

Needles & Olives - Prequel to Now

Okay. This is where I unpeel. I've dragged you into my journey with health. You cheer me on, but you're not 100% sure what's going on. So here's a laundry list with a timeliness. Hopefully it will make certain sense.    1. Buckle up.   2006 - Pregnancy. Hypertension. Snoring. Acid reflux. 2007 onwards - Getting higher doses of hypertension medications and being told to lose weight. Medical apathy. 2018 - Iron deficiency started showing up. I was not aware, until later.  mid-2019 - Breathing difficulties manifest at odd times. Started on steroids. Important to remember.  2019 - Enlarged heart detected. 2029 (Dec) - Personal paranoia about SARSCOV2 hits high inside me. Causing me to be a hermit ahead of the lockdown. Feb 2020 - Asthma diagnosis. Fear of COVID19 contraction escalates. March 2020 - The cardiomegaly continues (fancy way of saying, “Your heart's too big and not in a good way.) 2020 - Partaking in the collective insanity. 2021 August - Vaccinated against C