Skip to main content

CAPES & SPANDEX 2

1.

Get up. Take a shower, and show up wholeheartedly. 
That was how I planned to start the first day of work. My employer has been kind enough when it comes to my regular absence due to lung health issues. I was going to go the extra 5 miles, in appreciation. They wouldn't see or feel my extra exertion, but I was determined to prove my appreciation.

When the day came, I indeed took a shower and showed up. Yes, I was working from home, but I felt the need to go through the same motions the other colleagues who go to the office went through. Silent solidarity. 
I have no clue why I do such things. Sometimes I laugh at myself and remind myself that no one sees my private theatrical actions. 
They make me happy, the said dramatic actions. I feel useful like I'm earning my place in the world. Doing my bit. 
Onwards. 




2. 

Thirty minutes past eight, I was on that laptop. Headphones on and ready to stream Hans Zimmer's masterpieces through my auditory senses. Hyping up my spirits which were already so high that I would fail a drug test just based on that. 
I let all my colleagues with joint deliverables know that I was back and ready for their queries (I was not, in fact, ready.)
I started responding to the most important emails. Chatted to my boss lady. Got a debrief from my team - bless them. Started on those projects that required my attention. 

With multiple tabs and presentations open, I felt useful again. I sat back and reflected; feeling good. 
I stood up to go and take a break and there it was, the familiar dizziness. It's not anemia, I'm taking iron supplements religiously. What now? 

I sat on the edge of the bed, ignoring any idea of lying down. I waited for the feeling to subside. After about 15 minutes, it hadn't. 
"Gosh! Can I not catch a break?!" 
Oh oh, the egotistical thoughts are creeping back. Of course, I can catch a break. I'm getting better, generally speaking. That counts as "catching a break." No? 


3.

I should have known that my blood oxygen levels were low when I was failing to remember the names of colleagues I work with daily.
I even forgot to eat breakfast. I never forget about food. No sir, no ma'am. 
Heartbroken, depressed, bereaved, I eat. I'm a gastronomist. 
I lie, I eat everything, so, more like a vacuum cleaner than a gastronomist. 

I gave up on heroism and I slept. I slept so much that I didn't hear my brother come into my room and put some snacks right next to me. By the time I woke up, the ice in my drink had melted. 

My lil' brother is sweet



I'm sad that I couldn't run to the finish line on day one. 
I'm happy that I woke up determined to do what I consider the right thing to do.
I love the work I do. 

I'm religious, so I've always prayed to be granted the qualities of humility and patience because it bothers me that I lack these.
With humility, I can learn that I'm not superhuman. I can't do everything that I set out to do in my current condition. I'd like to reach a point where I understand my limitations, without letting them stop me from high achievements. That too, not for show, but for my private satisfaction. 

I am not a superhero. I'd look great in a cape, but terrible in spandex. I can still be valuable, without hurting my body and mind. I'm not telling this to you, dear reader. I am trying to convince myself.

Next up, the gym is calling. 
Oh dear. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am The Same Person

I am not the same person you remember.  I laugh the same way, I'm still afraid of sneezes, I still giggle unnecessarily.  But my light has been dimmed. I am not the same person you remember.  I have not spoken to you in a while.  You probably have not seen me in a while.  Maybe I have said "no" to one too many of your invitations. Forgive me. I have since lost a large piece of my hope pie.  I have since broken my literal heart. I have since lost a piece of my confidence. I am not the same person you remember.  "Get well" and "We love you" messages have become my staple.  As life goes on and I decelerate, I find less joy in waking up.  As people display their affection with human touch, I find that my reciprocal affection has been replaced by fear of contamination.  So strong is the fear, that even on my brightest day, I often prefer the company of my furry friend to loved ones.  Yes, I still love you, but... I am not the same person you rem

Race Rage Gape

1. "I love having her around, but seeing bits of her hair in the shower is unbearable! I want her to stay, but I just can't stand it. It's... gross." Faced with a dilemma seemingly so minor, Viera didn't have time to mull over her decision because her black tenant overheard the conversation and immediately felt unwanted. She eventually left. No amount of apologising and pseudo acceptance could glue that relationship back together. It was Humpty-Dumpty. Gone. I was disgusted with Viera and I let it be known, with the kindest words possible, of course. No use fueling an awkward storm, but we had to talk about it.  She doesn't hate black people, nor did she expect her own visceral reaction to seeing all the little coily black strands of hair in the shower she shared with her black acquaintance.  In her words, it wasn't that the hair was from a black person as much as it was a foreign sight. One that she could not stomach. She felt like her senses were invaded

Needles & Olives - Prequel to Now

Okay. This is where I unpeel. I've dragged you into my journey with health. You cheer me on, but you're not 100% sure what's going on. So here's a laundry list with a timeliness. Hopefully it will make certain sense.    1. Buckle up.   2006 - Pregnancy. Hypertension. Snoring. Acid reflux. 2007 onwards - Getting higher doses of hypertension medications and being told to lose weight. Medical apathy. 2018 - Iron deficiency started showing up. I was not aware, until later.  mid-2019 - Breathing difficulties manifest at odd times. Started on steroids. Important to remember.  2019 - Enlarged heart detected. 2029 (Dec) - Personal paranoia about SARSCOV2 hits high inside me. Causing me to be a hermit ahead of the lockdown. Feb 2020 - Asthma diagnosis. Fear of COVID19 contraction escalates. March 2020 - The cardiomegaly continues (fancy way of saying, “Your heart's too big and not in a good way.) 2020 - Partaking in the collective insanity. 2021 August - Vaccinated against C